Wildflower Photography Workshop Crested Butte 2022
Nestled in the heart of Colorado lies the small town of Crested Butte. Each year during the summer months, the mountains around the town put on an incredible display of wildflowers. This workshop will focus on the early season wildflowers in the lower country that typically are found closer to town. Connor Scalbom and I will be hosting a three day workshop capturing extraordinary flower compositions and astrophotography. There are only 10 spots so reserve yours soon.
- 24 June 2022, Students will arrive in Crested Butte. We will meet for an early dinner to introduce and get to know each other. This will start at 5pm MST. After dinner, meeting and greet, we will then rally to the scheduled shoot location where the wildflowers are ready for us to photograph. This session will include breaking down composition, shooting to focus stack and building the skills around this complicated form of photography. Following sunset, we will be shooting the Milky Way.
- 25 June 2022, Optional sunrise shoot will occur close to town. During the day we will be going to a location and having lunch. We will have a session in a conference room to go over editing techniques, focus stacking, etc. We will have a couple hour break during this day and encourage students to go into town or do some exploring of their own. Golden Hour/ Sunset will be a little hike to a location followed by the Milky Way after the sun goes down.
- 26 June 2022, if the weather is clear, we will wake up fairly early to shoot the Milky Way. We will shoot sunrise into the morning and build the editing skills learned from Connor and Justin to composite wildflower photos with Milky Way photography. After this session, we will also do another editing session to allow the guests to apply what they’ve learned to the test with themselves.
Wildflower season in Crested Butte is simply amazing, it isn’t called the wildflower capital of Colorado for nothing. There are hundreds of different wildflowers native to the Crested Butte area. Fun fact: the town has a wildflower festival that is a week long in the month of July. This is usually determined by how much rain the area gets weeks prior. We will be scouting about a week or so before to finalize locations we want to take students. This workshop will focus on wildflowers that are usually found at lower elevations and near town.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN TUITION?
- Dinner the first night, brunch the second day
- Skills of the professional instructors and time
- Photography Guide Service
- Editing and classroom
- Editing tutorials
- We are always open to teaching editing after or before the dates of the workshop
- Three star trackers to be used one night
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN TUITION?
- Meals besides dinner first night and brunch the second day
- Travel/vehicle/equipment insurance
- Proper equipment such as tripods, cameras, lenses, etc.
We will be spending the workshop doing a combination of landscape photography and astrophotography. One night we will set up star trackers for students to utilize. Focus stacking will be a large part of this workshop. We will be showcasing how to focus stack during the day and night. Getting a proper focus stack on a bundle of flowers with a beautiful foreground can be one of the most difficult tasks as a photographer. After sunsets most nights, blue hour exposures will be taught and followed by the milky way. This technique will showcase how to blend or even start compositing.
One day we will showcase how we edit. The next day our students will showcase how they edit and we will give feedback to them. Make sure to bring a laptop! After the workshop concludes, each student will receive an in depth editing tutorial from Connor and I.
Not only will this be a photography workshop, it will be a guided wildflower experience. We will provide names on specific flowers, history of the species, how they came to be, and also the history of wildflowers in Crested Butte. Hikes will occur but no hike will be too strenuous and will not require a very long distance.
Since this is a summer/monsoon season workshop weather can be very sporadic. We will not be providing transportation and we recommend having a vehicle that can handle possible mud and rain. The instructors reserve the right to transport anyone that is in medical need or emergency.
We want this workshop to be an adventure and an experience. Also, we want to teach our students how to be prepared for certain situations and share knowledge that would have benefited us in our early career. One goal is for every student to leave our workshop with multiple images they are happy with. Another goal of ours is for them to have an experience of a lifetime. To achieve this, both Connor and I will not be shooting, this will allow us to continuously help all our students with any questions they might have. Although, we may set up our camera to allow us to capture video, time lapse, or group pictures. When the workshop dates get closer we will send out a pamphlet to all the students with more information.
Connor has spent the past several years photographing Crested Butte on a level that is unmatchable by many. His work is outstanding and he will be teaching how to capture the uniqueness of Crested Butte.
Justin is an astrophotographer that has an image in Times Square on New Years, 2020. There is another image of Justin’s that is in Denver International Airport. He specializes in capturing the night sky.